We spent a VERY HOT weekend in Texas over the 4th. It was nice to visit with Andy's family and we all had a great time despite the 100+ temps. Thankfully there was a pool there and the boys probably swam for 14 hours of the 44 that we were there. The fireworks around the lake were so fun to watch. We could see them everywhere.
The boys road back to CO with their Mimmy and Croaker and had a great time in the car with them. Croaker fixed a few things at our place before he hopped on a plane back to TX. Mimmy is staying in Colorado Springs for the rest of the month so we'll see her quite a bit between here and there.
I made my third attempt at baking bread here and all five loaves finally came out...mostly. I've had to adjust all my main baking recipes for the altitude here (1 mile high) and the bread has been the most difficult. It rises too fast and then flops in the oven. I finally got the rising time down today, but then I still had to deal with my two glass pans. The bottoms always stick and don't come out with the loaf. Someday I'll have enough Pampered Chef stoneware loaf pans to bake in and I'll be able to send the glass ones back to Goodwill where I got them. The stone one I have now always produces the most perfect loaf (if I time the rising right).
We are all anxiously awaiting the arrival of our good friends from OR tonight. The boys have been waiting for this day since we drove out of Eugene. Mandatory rest time is taking place in our house right now since we have to be at the airport at 11pm tonight to pick them up (as long as our daily storms hurry and pass over so flights can operate as usual). We can't wait!
Sorry for the lack of pictures lately. I only have my big camera and it's so hard to carry around with my painful back. This is the first time since getting it almost 2 years ago that I wish I had a small pocket camera. Our hike on Thursday was gorgeous and would have provided some amazing backdrops. We started hiking at 9,200 feet and made our way to a beautiful mountain reservoir. It was 4 miles round trip over some pretty rough terrain. The boys made it, but not without much whining. I want to take Andy back there and make it to the second, higher lake, which is a natural high alpine lake. It's 8 miles round trip which I think we could do as long as we start early enough since the afternoon storms can be bad.
0 comments:
Post a Comment