CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 17, 2012

California Driving

The boys and I are on a road trip. I love road trips and they are learning to love them. Andy loves them as well (as long as I don't want to stop too much), but he had to stay at work this week. I've never lived in California (at least not during any time I can remember), but I've traveled back there almost every year of my life. Most of my extended family lives there. During my adult life I have driven there from various parts of the country and the strangest phenomena happens every time I cross the California border. I suddenly have a complete disregard for my speedometer. This isn't a gradual occurrence, that happens as I get closer to L.A. It happens without me realizing it, but when I look back I can see that it is immediately after crossing the border. As soon as I enter into California I find myself in a desperate race to keep up with those around me. I'm constantly trying to lose the tailgaters, and to avoid being passed on both sides at the same time. Once I realize that I've lost track of my speed I try to keep it in check, but that doesn't last long. There is no point in trying to drive the speed limit and I'd rather not see when I'm going 80mph. Then, as soon as I drive out of California I calmly glance at my speedometer and set the cruise control as if there was never any lapse in this habit. This whole occurrence has baffled me for years. It happens without fail and now I even know it is coming, yet can't control it. I find it much more relaxing to calmly glance at my speedometer as I travel from point to point.

0 comments: