CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Random Thoughts

I got my haircut today.  First time since moving here.  It looks alright, nothing spectacular.


Right after getting into our house I moved our Azure Standard co-op drop point from Eugene to here.  It wasn't hard filling my drop point so we meet the minimum order every month.  I don't know anyone that picks up from me, but I get our food each month and love still being able to get our favorite salsa and yogurt from Oregon.  Now, if only they would start carrying Yumm sauce.  Each month I order from them I like to add one or two new items to our list, just to try.  Last month I added some yummy sounding crackers and a new brand of fish oil I wanted to try (something I've been taking for a while - I'm trying anything to help my back heal).  The crackers are delicious, but not at all worth the price.  I got the $4 package to find 4, 3in x 3in crackers inside.  At $1 a cracker we won't be buying those again.  I broke open the fish oil at lunch one day in hopes that I could get the boys taking it as well.  The flavor I purchased was 'chocolate cream' - sounds delicious right?  Poor, unsuspecting Riley!  The boys were all excited to try it, but Riley got to go first.  I wouldn't have given him any if I had tasted it first.  It was horrible!  We've passed it on to Andy to finish since it was a bit expensive too so I can't just toss it down the drain.  He doesn't like it either, but he can get it down and since his farm eggs didn't come this month (he drinks two raw ones a day) the fish oil will be the substitute.

The boys started piano this week.  It's going to be a bit torturous for a while as Tegan is unhappy about 'starting over' but this is a whole new method that he's learning.  The teacher we found teaches Suzuki style which is new to us.  It seems to follow the Classical model of education quite well so I think it is going to fit us.  I'm excited because I'm required to practice and learn as well so I can help them each week.  I know they are going to pass me up though.  It's interesting how we ended up with this teacher...we've only met one other family here who takes piano lessons so I got her contact info from them.  We went to her for a sample lesson and either she is VERY desperate for students or she absolutely loves our boys.  I still can't figure out which it is.  I really like her and how she treated each boy during the sample lesson as well as how she runs her 'business.' (It's so hard to find an artsy person who can run an efficient business as well and that drives me nuts as I try to find classes for the boys in various forms of art).  Of course I find out the price of her lessons at the end and realize it is way too expensive for us to even enroll one boy.  Apparently, Suzuki style lessons are more expensive than regular piano lessons???  I told her a few days later that we just couldn't do it right now, but in 7 months it might be a possibility since the medical bills from dealing with my back should be paid off then.  Well, she responded that she would love to teach them now and that she'll charge whatever we can afford!  It's only a one year offer, but we'll deal with the price increase when it happens.  It was a deal too good to pass up at this time and we're thrilled Tegan and Riley get to continue in their lessons and now Conner gets to join them as well.  However, I've realized I feel a lot of pressure to ensure the boys do well because a part of me doesn't want them to disappoint her after she agreed to teach them at a discount (she was very impressed with Tegan's impromptu jazz music and amazed with his ear for music so I'm afraid she might think he's a 'special' musician and I'm also afraid she'll be disappointed).  Yes, I know this is my issue and I'd better deal with it so the boys don't suffer because of it :).  If she's disappointed then she's disappointed and I can't change that.

Loving craigslist!  We've sold several things since we've moved here, to include our crib mattress (we didn't mean to still have this, but found it in the attic when packing the U-haul) and our Burley trailer.  Between selling the two we got enough money to enroll the boys in a soccer/football program this fall.  By Andy offering to help coach each week we got them all enrolled for a little more than the price of only one!  They are so excited even though they'll miss our Family Soccer Organization back in Eugene.  However, this program is run on some of the same basic concepts and only meets once a week and they all go together.  We like this much more than each of them being on separate teams with several practices a week and then Saturdays spent at games all over town.

My back is still a major problem.  Last week and this week it has actually been so bad I've had to miss out on hiking - not good at all!  That has been my respite from the city each week and I'm missing it.  I've been dealing with a common side effect of lower back issues.  It's a spasming/contracting muscle in my hip.  This usually isn't a major issue, but the muscle that is in permanent contraction right now is also gripping my sciatic nerve so my hip and leg are in horrible pain.  It's just a matter of getting this muscle to relax, but it takes time - ugh!  Now I've had to go pay for two massages that I would normally be thrilled over, but these have been so painful and it's basically just a butt massage so not even a good relaxing one.  None the less they have made a difference and the pain is slowly subsiding.

Andy and I held a tutor training session for six hours on Sunday for some Colorado Classical Conversations tutors.  I think it went really well and the tutors all benefitted from it.  And, it was actually slightly fun.  Andy and I have never done anything together, like that before.  At first I had the schedule split up so we were each doing a different portion of the training, but then we decided to combine the main portion.  I took care of the organization of the meeting as well as trying to keep us on track with the schedule while he jumped in where needed and also provided some entertainment.  He had a great time and although it's not something I love doing (being in front of a bunch of people), I'm getting better at it and it wasn't miserable.  I might even say I had some fun during parts of it.

I visited the 'Pokemon and Massage Castle' today.  It was missing the soothing music, but otherwise quite a good deal for a massage.  Conner and Riley worked on me at the same time and only charged 10 cents a minute.  However, they also thought to put out a tip box so they made a little more than $1 after my 10 minute massage.  Then, when I left I got a 50% off coupon so I think I might go back later today.

I do have more random thoughts to write, but need to go be responsible right now.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the sharing/update. Been missing you guys. Regards, E