CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Getting on with school

February was a fairly good month with school. We were stuck home much of the month with two rounds of colds. They grew tired of hearing that one of the many benefits of homeschooling is that they can still go to school when they're sick. I took their math books right to their beds for them then they could lay on the couch and listen to the history readings. It has worked well. Tegan has been given more responsibility for his own school work and I think he likes that. He has even asked for grades because he wants a reward for doing good work and after I shot down his first suggestion of a Wii (an odd sports video game thing) we decided on grades each day in 5 catagories with a reward at the end of the week for all grades of "A" and "B". The reward will be extra computer time or staying up later rather than something that involves money. He was shocked to see some "D"s this week, but he needs a lot of work in getting things done on time rather than getting distracted by day dreaming. He did an excellent job today getting everything done without me saying anything to him.

I went swimming today for the first time since May. I really miss swimming laps several times a week. It was at a new place I'm trying out that only has an outdoor pool. It was absolutely freezing getting into it but was great swimming in the quiet outdoors since no one else was around. I'm hoping birthday money will help me to get a membership here for the year.

The boys and I had an interesting conversation yesterday after reading our daily devotional book. I completely disagreed with what it was saying and wanted them to know that. They were a lttle surprised to hear that I would disagree with the book, but even more surprised that I followed that by saying that that is what they also learn in church and I don't agree with it. It was good for them to hear that church isn't always right and that different people interpret the Bible differently. There is only one truth in the Bible and the challenge lies in trying to find that truth. In the search for that truth many un-truths are discussed and even taught. Our job is to question. Did they ever have questions for me then.

A child rearing book that has always been at the top of my list is Boundaries with Kids, but I think I have found one that surpasses it. A friend recommended a book called "How to Talk so your Kids Will Listen, and Listen so Your Kids Will Talk." I have been reading it and implementing many of the ideas as I read and it's had an amazing effect on my relationship and interaction with the boys. I'm hoping we can go through this book next year in my Moms group.

I went to visit Grandma two weeks ago and had such a good time with her. The two of us have never got to visit alone together. We walked, talked, ate out and went to movies all weekend. I also got 6 hours of quiet travel time on both ends of the trip. I was so refreshed after that. I told her I needed to come back every month.

A picture of Grandma and me on the Balboa ferry and a fun picture of the boys having one of their daily poo-poo parties.





0 comments: