CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 08, 2005

First real post

YAY!! I think I figured this out. My last post was the first successful one so now I will be more long winded and add details and pray that my words will be preserved here. I am starting this blog with the hope of keeping family more well informed of the happenings around our household, specifically, the happenings of our 3 wonderful boys. I am going to try to update this often so you are able to get a glimpse of our daily life and share in the joys and trials no matter how far away you may be.

So, this may be a long one to bring you up to date this fall. We started school 1 Sep and have been moving at a pretty good pace knowing the holidays are coming (I'm hoping to take the month of Dec off of most of our school so we are able to focus on the spirit of giving as we make crafts and treats to distribute). T is officially in first grade (age wise) and the city still doesn't care where he is because they don't even want him registered until next year which seems a bit strange to me, but less paperwork for now. He reads anything he gets his hands on with his favorite being the Magic Tree House series. He doesn't like his math lessons, but I think I pushed him too hard last year because it seemed so easy to him and then he hit a wall and just couldn't get it. We've back tracked a bit now and are just working on mastery so his confidence level is raising in this area and he certainly isn't behind (he's in a 2nd grade book) so we have room to slack off. He loves the creative writing part of language arts and would write stories all day if I would sit and type them for him. T's favorite subject of all is science because of the experiments that are sure to follow each lesson. He also loves his gymanstics class. He started piano lessons this year and likes his class, but would rather not practice. Although, he's learning that hard work may be worth it sometimes as he's seen some of the rewards. He loves to just sit down and play a song that he has mastered (Yankee Doodle being his favorite right now).

R is officially pre-k but he really wanted to do school with us all last year so I made sure I was ready for him this year. He taught himself to read a couple years ago and it's just taken off from there. He was reading to me off the front page of the newpaper the other day. He excels at math and just picks up his book and decides on his own which lesson he wants to do then does it - correctly!! I regret to say I don't think I've had much part in his learning. He's stubborn enough to work hard at anything he wants to do until he gets it right. A tough quality at the age of two but turning into a wonderful character trait when kept in check. He is eager to play with whichever brother wants to play with him at the time and is very caring towards C. He helps him with anything and will read to him before bed or cuddle with him before his nap. R is also our household encourager. Anytime someone doesn't think they do a good job at something they have tried at he is right there to tell them how great they did. R is in a music class that he "thinks" he likes and he is also taking gymnastics. He is a great little gymnast - very coordinated and strong.

C follows along with anything going on and if we try to leave hiim out there is big trouble to be had. He has realized that fun things sometimes happen when he is napping and is not happy about this. If given the choice he will often choose to go to bed early rather than nap. I think he is our family clown and definitely the most animated with his facial expressions and bodily actions. He also has a definite opinion of what he wants to wear everyday (I thought only girls did this) down to the pjs he wears to bed. Thanks goodness he grew out of his favorite outfit (tye dye shirt with cords that had teddy bear cowboys printed on them- those would often stay in the laundry for an extended amount of time). C loves his gymnastics class and can't wait to start swim lessons in Nov.

I found a homeschool co-op this year that we have really enjoyed. We meet twice a month and the kids get to do a messy art project in art history and then an experiment in science. After lunch the older kids get to learn embroidery (T is very excited about this) while the younger ones have PE. It's a fun break from our routine with a great group of families (none of which we knew ahead of time so it's been fun getting to know some new people).

We started the Family Soccer Oganization (FSO) with 4 other families this fall. We got tired of running around to two weeknight practices and a game every saturday for T last year and knew we would be doing that for T and R this year so we decided to do our own thing. We are meeting every Sat morning for 6 weeks to play soccer with our kids and it is so much fun. The dads run the practice and it always ends in a scrimmage of the kids vs. grown-ups (moms too). Of course moms always provide soccer snacks (the most important part). We're even getting some team shirts thanks to Papa and Cher-cher. The kids love it. R's comment after the first practice/game "I can't believe I won my first real soccer game!" :)

A started seminary through online courses at DTS in Aug and is loving school for the first time in his life. I raced in a triathlon on Sep 11 and had a great time. It was so beautiful up in the Cascades with snow topped mtn peaks. I attained my goals of finishing and not coming in last so I was very pleased.

That's all for tonight. I must get some sleep so I am well rested for my room full of 4 year olds at Sunday school tomorrow. Hope you enjoy hearing a bit more detail about the boys' daily lives.

0 comments: